Do you know that the 10 commandments were given to us for our good?
Let’s study together Exodus chapter 20.
- The first and second commandment says you should have no other God before Him, you should not bow to or serve any graven image….now this is really, really to your own advantage. You make the devil happy by not serving God. It has been the devil’s plan right from inception, he has always wanted people to serve him instead of God. Remember the scenario at the garden of Eden…remember how devil tempted Jesus back then.So what good are you doing yourself by making the devil and those small demons happy? Why should you waste your money and time making sacrifices that you’ll have to renew if you don’t want repercussions?
- Third commandment; Thou shall not take the name of the Lord in vain. Don’t swear but accord reverence to the use of the name of the Lord. If the gods of thunder or lightning does not take with levity , swearing, emitting its punishment sternly in great rage of fury, then how much more the consequences, if the name of Jesus is being used in careless levity. Biko, don’t swear at all, either by heaven, earth or by His name.\
- Fourth commandment; Keep the Sabbath day holy, which is now the day of the Lord, the day of rest. Please endeavour to rest from all your toils and labour of the week and get refreshed for the upcoming week. Saturday is just a day of rest from your work you still have to use the hours for personal things and most especially parties here and there. So use your Sunday to rest and rejuvenate yourselves.
- Fifth commandment; Honour your parents and even elders. If it is not even in the commandments of God, it is our tradition. It’s a general belief and biblical that respect for elderly ones comes along with blessings especially our parents who have invested so much in us.
- Sixth commandment; don’t kill. if you kill and after investigation, you are declared guilty as charged you will be killed too.
- Seventh commandment; you know the end result of adultery? Sooner or later you will have a child out of wedlock or contract venereal diseases. Is that what you want?
- Eighth commandment; don’t steal, because no matter how smart or tactful you are, you will eventually get caught and the shame and stigma that follows being called a thief is not worth disobeying the commandment.
- Tenth commandment; don’t bear false witness and don’t covet thy neighbour’s belongings. The act of covetousness is corollary, if you do any of such it’s going to be done to you. What goes around surely comes around; whatever you sow you will reap.
Can you now agree with me that it is for our own good? God gave us these commandments so we could enjoy our lives.
In Matthew22:37-40, Jesus summarised the law into two;
- Love the lord thy God with all thy heart, with all thy soul and with all thy might(First to fourth commandments)
- Love your neighbour as yourself(fifth to tenth commandments)
So abide and walk by God’s principles so you enjoy your life here on earth and in heaven (you’ve got nothing to lose by being law abiding).
The GOOD NEWS is this, after these laws were given, Jesus was sent and he died for our sins, and He has given us the power to go and sin no more.
#No more struggle#
#no more falling and rising#
Now grace is much more better and greater than all our sins.